Smarty, our new game has arrived!This is a game for age 8-98, copyright 2010 by Dale Harder.
I love word games such as Scrabble, Boggle, Upwords and Perquackery. They're all wonderful and great fun to play but they have things that could be improved , hence the need for a new game called Smarty. This game would we fun for home schooling as well as other teaching but anyone could play just for recreation, or to build your word knowledge. Expand your vocabulary and the lengths of the words you use by adding on prefixes like: "dis", "un" or "pre". Learn how to score more points and build your vocabulary using suffixes like: "ably", "ment", and "ness." Of course we have some really long prefixes and suffixes that we use, and we check the dictionary to make sure we spelled them right.
Smarty is played with six large, polished one-inch dice with letters on them (see the photos). Players take turn rolling the dice, and all players get to use the same dice on the same turn (better than Scrabble here). Players do this by copying the letters from the dice onto paper in front of them.
Two of the dice have nothing but vowels and the other four dice have only consonants. Therefore, whenever you roll the dice you always have two vowels and four consonants which avoids one of the problems of Scrabble and Boggle. In Scrabble some players get luckier draws for letters than others; not so in Smarty. Every letter of the alphabet is included here but letters used more frequently in our language appear more often on the dice.
Scrabble boards are limited to where you can make a play--for example you have to play off of a previous word except for the first turn. Also, towards the end of a Scrabble game you may have great tiles but no place to play them. This is not a problem in Smarty.
Boggle's limitations are that you can only use words where the letter cubes are touching each other and that you can't use the same word as someone else; not so in Smarty.
What else is really different about Smarty?
1. You have to use at least four or the six letters rolled to make words but you get to add other letters besides those rolled on the dice. You can make words up to 18 letters long.
2. There are also options for geography, science and math.
1. Six polished one-inch dice with letters on them.
2. A convenient carrying bag--for pocket or purse.
3. Directions explaining several versions.
You need to provide:
1. Paper and pencils for each person
2. A timer capable of timing 3 minutes (a watch or clock okay).
3. A good dictionary or www.dictionary.com or another good online dictionary site.
How to order Smarty (the dice word game):
1. Order from PayPal with the amount payable to daleharderEP@gmail.com. For orders in the USA please send $10.95 + $3.00 for shipping & handling for 1st class mail; for priority mail substitute $5 for s&h.
For two or more games each game is only $9.95 apiece; s&h is only $1 for each additional game. Californians please add $1.30 sales tax--we'll pay the rest. Canadian orders add $5 more to s&h above. Other countries add $9 more.
2. Or you can order by sending a money order, cashier's or personal check (up to 2 weeks for the last to clear) to: Education Plus, 18584 Carlwyn Dr, Dept. W, Castro Valley CA 94546-0232.
If you have further questions you can email us at the email address above.
Tutoring: We specialize in reading, writing, speaking, spelling, math, science, home schooling and test taking skills. Our services are not only beneficial for students experiencing difficulties in one or more academic areas, but are helpful to students (including adults) looking to advance their education. We also have programs available for gifted children.
We can help prepare your child for state testing and the SAT.
Education Plus is a team of highly dedicated and trained professionals who strive to take the education process to a new and exciting level . We are committed to provide the highest quality education in the comfort of your own home.
Our goal is to insure that each student reaches their full potential at an early age to secure a successful future.
18584 Carlwyn Dr.
Castro Valley CA 94546-2032